Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:18:57 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Watchdog Timeout - bge devices

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 02:34:16PM +1000, John Marshall wrote:
> $ dmesg | grep bge
> bge0: <Broadcom BCM5705K Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x3003> mem
> 0xe8200000-0xe820ffff irq 17 at device 4.0 on pci4
> miibus1: <MII bus> on bge0
> bge0: Ethernet address: 00:0b:cd:e7:51:ba
> bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
> bge0: link state changed to DOWN
> bge0: link state changed to UP

As far as SCHED_ULE goes, if you have issues with it, use SCHED_4BSD.
4BSD is still the default, and definitely works.  I've run into too
many issues (in the past; maybe some have since been dealt with)
with ULE, so I stick purely with 4BSD.

Now, about watchdog timeouts in general -- there's a pending issue
which is still under investigation.  Please see this thread:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-September/028792.html

Yes, it's long, but it does pertain to bge (despite the subject
stating em).  After you read it all, or most of it, you should
probably partake in the convo there.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |