Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 17:55:13 -0500
From:      craigs@os.com (Craig Shrimpton)
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! - How do I add more disk and swap?

Greetings,

I have two ST-43400N SCSI drives that I need to add to my system.  I have
partitioned the disks but I don't know how to label them.  I want each disk
to have 32M swap and 2745M of freebsd space.  I've tried /stand/sysinstall's
disk label editor but I can't tell if it's working. It complains that I
haven't selected a "/" filesystem when I try to write the config.  My root
is on another drive so I don't want to mess with it.

I have been able to label and make a filesystem on the drives as long as I
don't define a swap space.  Any attempt to "swapon" results in a file not
found message.  Does the swap space need some kind of formatting?

I have not been able to find any documentation on how to add swap and disk
to a system so I don't even know if /stand/sysinstall is the right tool.
Please, if anyone can tell me how to add disk properly or at least point me
to some literature I'd be grateful.  I'd hate to have to go back to Linux
simply because it has the necessary instructions :-(

Thanks,

Craig

Shrimpton Consulting                         Orbit Systems
Craig Shrimpton                              Email:  craigs@os.com
17 Monroe Avenue                             Phone:  (508) 753-8776
Worcester, MA 01602                          http://www.os.com/