Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 22:46:14 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tuning a CPU bound server

Doug White wrote:
> qmail is also very inefficient when it comes to large delivery -- the fork
> per message and the qmail-remote trigger-hitting will eventually
> bottleneck you.  It's probable you've run into it. My sympathies. :) You
> might try *dropping* concurrencyremote somewhat to reduce the
> context-switch thrash (although your context-switch numbers aren't too
> high, I've seen worse and the machine wasn't taxed too heavily).

I was going to comment on this, but didn't; now that you have,
though, I'll say that qmail is also not very good on connection
reuse, so while it reduces average latency until it starts hitting
resource limits (either local or remote -- some remote servers will
throttle incoming connections from the same source, and rightly so,
IMO), it has increased per message overhead.  Not a problem to have
30% more overhead, until you start being starved of something other
than network bandwidth, or hitting secondary effects of bandwidth
limits (e.g. higher pool retention time on open connections, which
uses more concurrent resources, cascading the problem).

> It might be interesting to run top and find what the major culprit of cpu
> usage is. Somehow I think it'll be qmail-send.

Me too.  8-).

My personal recommendation would be "try another MTA, even if you
use the qmail MSA".  My preference is sendmail; others will point
you at postfix; in either case, the proof will be in the results
you see from the switch, more than anything anyone can say to you.

-- Terry