Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:36:55 +0100
From:      "L. Jankok" <lj@2u2.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kernel tuning and Squid performance

Hi folks,

Having to migrate a Proxy server from an Ultra SPARC (u10)
to FreeBSD I was looking for similar kernel tunables as
the ones I tuned on Solaris.
The new system is running FreeBSD 4.7 Stable on a SMP
machine with two very fast SCSI disks and 1 GB of RAM.

I did a man tuning, read the relevant sections on the
FreeBSD handbook, searched google and looked at the
relevant sections of the FAQ on www.squid-cache.org.

This is what I have done so far;

/boot/load.conf
kern.ipc.nmbclusters=131072

/etc/sysctlt.conf
kern.maxfiles=65536
kern.maxfilesperproc=32768
kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192
net.inet.ip.portrange.last=30000
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize=2
net.inet.udp.maxdgram=57344
net.inet.udp.recvspace=65535
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1			#ok no undesirable overhead>
vfs.vmiodirenable=1			#ok <set explicitly, cache as much directories as you can>
# harden the stack a bit
net.inet.icmp.drop_redirect=1
net.inet.icmp.log_redirect=1
net.inet.ip.redirect=0
net.inet.ip.sourceroute=0
net.inet.ip.accept_sourceroute=0
net.link.ether.inet.max_age=1200	#ok <set explicitly>
net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho=0		#ok <set explicitly>

The system is a dedicated web Proxy server processing approximately
236 GB a month.
During peak hours the total request per seconds is nearby 65 and the
client_http.all_median_svc_time = 0.045193 seconds.
During peak hours the average load is around 0.50.

The above tuning has a considerably effect on the performance of the
web cache server and it is performing like expected.

Lucio Jankok