Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:11:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shawn Lussier <project10@alpha.focalnetworks.net>
To:        Kirill Jezduke <kirill@tavrida.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw + QOS

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Kirill Jezduke wrote:

> Excuse me, but I don't undestood how to determine the minimum bandwidth
> for user.
>
> Example:
> total bandwidth = 256Kb/sec. Interface ed0.
> IP (10.0.0.1) - minimum 128Kb/sec, maximun 256Kb/sec.
> IP (All others) - minimum 0Kb/sec, maximum 256Kb/sec
>
> Can you show me a ipfw-rules to do this?

	While I haven't setup something similar to this scenario, I am
fairly certain that it is possible. You can use weighted queueing to give
traffic priority to 10.0.0.1 before 'all others' (I hope :)).

From the 'ipfw' manpage:

	weight weight
             Specifies the weight to be used for flows matching this queue.
             The weight must be in the range 1..100, and defaults to 1.

	Again, I've never setup minimums and weighted queueing using ipfw,
so I can't say for certain whether it is possible, nor give concrete
examples of how it might be implemented.

-Shawn