Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:42:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com.demon.co.uk>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portability of shm, mmap, pipes and socket IPC

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with portability of common
> IPC mechanisms between Linux 2.x and FreeBSD?
>
> I'm trying to estimate the risk of a porting project from
> Linux to FreeBSD.
> What peculiarities are there? Incompatibilities between the
> two OSs WRT to 'clean' implementation of these disciplines?
>
> sockets - feature set compatible?

Both systems use the Berkeley sockets api and should be source compatible.

> pipes - ? named pipes?

Yes.

> mmap - stable? limitations?

No problems for local filesystems.  Possibly one or two NFS bugs might
remain but I doubt that you would come across them.  I think I had one or
two problems with Linux using strange names MAP_XXX flags but I can't
remember that clearly.

> shmxxx - SYSV compatibility?

Yes.  You will have to make sure that they are built into your kernel.
GENERIC only includes SYSVSHM for some reason.

> Comments greatly appreciated.

I don't think you will have much trouble :-).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com