Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 16:58:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous Reboots...

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I've found those symbols..
> they aren't anything to do with me..
> they are in swapgeneric.c
> someone has commented them out with
> #ifdef notused
>
> as your kernel compiled I'd have to agree with them..
> the change went in between 1.11 and 1.12 of that file..
> looks like wpaul was the culprit..
>
> as that isn't used I'd suggest that  maybe pstat
> might be fixed..
> what does IT want them for?
>
> (I shall leave the rest as an exercise for you :)

	Well, considering that kernel hacking isn't something I'm
very good at (okay, its one area I fear to tread...*sigh*)...

	I've got it narrowed down that the problem seems to be
somewhere in the debug kernel that I'm trying to use.  I've removed
'options DODUMP' from my config, and the kernel compiles fine, and
pstat works.

	Now, as Julian points out, the symbols that pstat is looking
for (swdevt and nswdev) are commented out by an '#ifdef notused'
clause in swapgeneric.c, but...if I put a non-debugging kernel up,
pstat works fine, therefore leading one to assume that those
symbols do exist, somewhere.

	Further to that, I've tried installing two different debug
kernels, one using 'strip -x' (as per the FAQ) and one using 'strip -d'
(as per recommendation) and both result in those symbols going missing.

	Now, looking at the man page for strip, the two options I
used were:

     The options are as follows:

     -d      Delete only debugging and empty symbols.

     -x      Delete only debugging, compiler identification, and local sym-
             bols.

	The only common element between the two is the debugging
information (unless the man page is missing information, of course),
so are 'swev and nswdev' considered "debugging" information?  I wouldn't
think so, since I don't believe that "debugging information" is part of
the code, only something that the compiler throws in.  But then...
how do those symbols disappear using either/or option?

	Well, that's about it before I hit a brick wall...anybody
else notice this problem?  Can recreate it?

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc