Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 13:23:16 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Unknow User <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user uses xv3.10a (PNG) to halt my system.

Unknow User wrote:

> Dear gentleman,
>
> probably, this is not the most suitable mailing list to post this mesg,
> but it's not worth to subscribe fbsd-questions only to get a answer. (if
> you hate me for that, ignore me)
>
> a) My system is 2.2.8Stable, where can i get a updated list about patch
> to this system?
> b) I have installed xv 3.10a (PNG), but my system has got freezed by
> running this software! So now, a user(i don't know which) have being
> stopping my system.
> c) is there possible to know which user is doing that?
> d) How can an user application halt my system, isn't fbsd supposed to be
> robust enough to handle this ?

It could also be that you and the other user are too impatient - if you're
opening a large image file with 24 bit colour on a machine running in 8-bit
colour AND you have selected the "Best 24->8" dithering option in xv and
you're low on either RAM or CPU grunt (ie:using a low-end PC) then you can
expect the time to display that image to be a long time - of the order of
several minutes, more so if you're swapping at the same time.

I'd be interested to see the output of top here, whilst xv is running.

A quick question: when you say 'freezed' what do you mean?
a) Totally hung - no response from the machine AT ALL (includes inability
to reach it across the network).
b) Partially hung - machine is still doing 'something' (disks working/clock
if visible is still ticking, etc)
c) Not hung - top shows xv using all CPU for a long time, but other
processes continue to run, although very slowly.

Also,
d) What size images are you trying to use (in k or M)
e) Does xv start at all, or just 'freeze' the system immediately?

--
Regards                        |  _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    | /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 98, NT, Linux or better' so I installed
FreeBSD."