Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:16:43 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Carsten Heesch <ch@sysconfig.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD now available on all EC2 instance types

On 01/17/12 13:06, Carsten Heesch wrote:
> There's a folder ec2-bits in the root directory, which contains a bunch of patches. From your blog post I gather that they will not (much longer) be required if one was to build their own kernel?

What gave you that idea?  The patches in that directory are the differences
between the 9.0-RELEASE source tree and the one I used to build the AMI.

> On the same subject: The kernel running in that AMI is apparently i386/XENHVM:
>
> FreeBSD ip-10-30-30-11 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Mon Jan 16 18:25:55 UTC 2012     root@ip-10-17-42-118:/usr/obj/i386.i386/usr/src/sys/XENHVM  i386
>
> The csup'ed source tree does not contain such configuration. It does for amd64. And there's a XEN configuration for i386. But no XENHVM configuration for i386.

Yep, that's why there's a patch in /root/ec2-bits which adds XENHVM. :-)

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve