Date:               Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:02:00 EST5EDT
From:      "Andrew Webster" <awebster@dataradio.com>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ain.charm.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: Format for Quotas

> Date sent:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 20:25:17 -0400 (EDT)
> From:           Network Coordinator <nc@ain.charm.net>
> To:             Andrew Webster <awebster@dataradio.com>
> Subject:        Re: Format for Quotas

> Great, now can you just tell me what format the group and user quota
> files are in?

Actually, these are binary data files, and should not be tampered with.

> I try edquota, but with lines like
>
> guest 1000
>
> edquota doesn't parse. Whats the secret?

If when you run edquota, you get a blank screen, you don't have it setup
quite right yet.  I may have neglected to mention a few steps which may be
why you are having difficulty.  So here is the proper order in which to do
things.
    1. Compile the kernel with options QUOTA
    2. Edit /etc/fstab and add userquota and/or groupquota to the file
       systems in which you want to have quotas apply.  Putting quotas
       on /tmp is a very bad idea.
    3. Run quotaon -a to enable quotas on all selected file systems
    4. Run quotacheck -av to build an initial list of who owns what
       and how many files.
    5. Run edquota username to set quotas on a particular user.
       You should see for example:
          edquota andreww
           Quotas for user andreww:
           /home: blocks in use: 29000, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)
                   inodes in use: 720, limits (soft = 0, hard = 0)

       Edit this file as you see fit.
    6. Run edquota -t to set time limits for over-quota conditions
       (although I can't seem to get this to work right at the moment).
    7. Run quotacheck occasionally to fixup any inconsistancies that may
       occur.

Good luck!

  Andrew Webster   Network Manager / Special Projects
  Dataradio Inc.   200-5500 Royalmount Ave.      TEL: +1 514 737 0020
  Town of Mount Royal, QC, CANADA  H4P 1H7       FAX: +1 514 737 7883
  http://www.dataradio.com              Email: awebster@dataradio.com