Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 05:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Nugent <davidn@austel.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/19553: "panic: zone: entry not free" in namei

The following reply was made to PR kern/19553; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Nugent <davidn@austel.net>
To: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:47:31 +1000

 David Malone wrote:
 >  > Kernel compiled with "options INVARIANTS"
 >
 >  You often see panics if you compile with INVARIANTS and then load
 >  modules which have not been compiled with INVARIANTS. Could this
 >  be the problem?

 If it is, then we either still have a bug, or we have a bug in our
 documentation (maybe depending on which is easier to fix :-)).

 From src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES (in -current, was LINT):

  # The INVARIANT_SUPPORT option makes us compile in support for
  # verifying some of the internal structures.  It is a prerequisite for
  # 'INVARIANTS', as enabling 'INVARIANTS' will make these functions be
 |# called.  The intent is that you can set 'INVARIANTS' for single
 |# source files (by changing the source file or specifying it on the
 |# command line) if you have 'INVARIANT_SUPPORT' enabled.

 From my reading of this, it is more likely that problems will occur
 when mixing kernel/modules with differing options "INVARIANT_SUPPORT"
 than "INVARIANTS". Of course, this may well be what you meant. :)

 --
 || David Nugent                      || TS Manager, ISP Limited ||
 \\ davidn@austel.net | davidn@blaze.net.au | davidn@freebsd.org //