Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:36:15 -0800
From:      "Mark Bermal" <mbermal@ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lucent PNP V.90 Modem (winmodem?)

Hello all

I recently installed FreeBSD 3.0 from CD, and I am having trouble
with a Lucent chipset based V.90 PNP modem. I looked through the
docs and they mentioned something about a PNP ID, which I don't
know how to get from the hardware. Also, I have a suspicion that
this is one of those castrated "Windows Only" modems, although it
does it say so clearly in any of its docs or on Lucent's website.
Does anyone know if Lucent based modems are "windows only?"

Also, if this is indeed one of those "winmodems," I'm going to need
another one. Can anyone recomment a decent PCI V.90 modem
that works in FreeBSD? Do the generic Rockwell based modems
work? I really don't want to spend $100 on a modem (Like the
Diamond Supra or the USR Robotics).

Thanks to all,

Mark Bermal