Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:25:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Subject:   Re: Explain this you SCSI tape experts!  :-)

Julian Elischer writes:
> J Wunsch wrote:
>>
>>  As Sean Kelly wrote:
>>
>>  As fate would have it, that's the very tape I need.  But when I stick it
>>  in the drive, FreeBSD reports BLANK CHECK.  Doh!
>>
>>  What could cause that?
>>
>>  No idea why there's nothing on the tape, but BLANK CHECK does of
>>  course mean you're trying to read beyond the recorded medium area.
>
> didi you rewind it accidentally between sets?
> did you rewind if after the last one?

I wish I understood what happened here.  I would almost guess that you
(Sean) have mistaken the tape for another one which is really blank.
In any case, it's not a question of rewinding: helical scan drives
rewind tapes before ejecting them, even if you have specified
/dev/nrst*.  I can't see how you could write anything on the tape
without first writing at the start, and after loading again, it will
definitely be positioned at BOT.

Greg