Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 18:43:06 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

> > > ??? What does that mean, they're "artifacts of the search interface..."
> > >
> > > It's been years since I used MS-DOS enough to care about poking around
> > > in the file system with Norton Utilities, but as I recall "." and ".."
> > > are just like any other directory entry in a directory.
> >
> > . and .. are offical needed, it is used by MS-Dos to load quicker the actual
> > directory (. points to the first cluster of the diretory) or to go one
> > directory up again (.. points to the first cluster of the mother directory or
> > to 0 for roo directory)
>
> Windows95 IFS uses absolute paths for all FS lookups.  So does NT.
>
> *ALL* FS lookups.

While running DOS/Windows.

> Same goes for DOS 7.0 shells running INT 21 emulation for programs
> running in DOS "Command" on Win95.
>
> If you "cd .." you *don't* get a ".." at the IFSMgr_SetReqHook()
> call level.  You get an absolute path with the ".." parsed back.

Fine, but what does that have to do with how the bits are laid on on
the disk in FAT/VFAT/VFAT32?

My guess is that FreeBSD programs don't care too very much about INT21
emulation or IFSMgr_SetReqHook. :-)

On the disk there are "." and ".." directory entries. If the Windows
IFS chooses to parse out the ".." in a filespec, that doesn't sound
like something that affects how dosfsck will work.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY