Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2013 22:23:38 +0100
From:      Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help with Huawei E398 LTE modem on 9-STABLE

Hi,

I don't know exactly when but some time ago my 3/4g modem stopped
working with 9-STABLE. I believe what I see is what is described here:

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=41055.0

If I insert the stick, this is logged
kernel: ugen0.3: <Huawei Technologies> at usbus0
kernel: Ejecting Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile using method 9

and

ugen0.3: <HUAWEI Mobile Huawei Technologies> at usbus0, cfg=255 md=HOST
spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x12d1
  idProduct = 0x1505
  bcdDevice = 0x0000
  iManufacturer = 0x0003  <Huawei Technologies>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <HUAWEI Mobile>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

Before it was identified as a 0x140c corresponding to a E180V according
to usbdevs which is not really correct but it worked.
With the new id 0x1505 no serial devices are a created.
0x1505 is a E392 in usbdevs, I guess that is a similar product but
apparently Huawei sometimes uses the same id for more than one product.

What can I do to get this back to working order except to roll back to
9-STABLE around October? What change to the usb system was done to break
E398?

Any hints welcome, I need this to work while travelling.

Thank you,

//per