Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:40:37 -0400
From:      Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building base source

On 06/09/17 23:23, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:01:25 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

>>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>>>

>> I have already looked at that.  That is why I have the questions.  I
>> want to build the base as a user and have it install its stuff into a
>> subdirectory.
>
> There are two variables that you will need to set: the directory
> where the build happens, and the one where the result from that
> build will be written to. The solution is quite simple, and of
> course already present in the build infrastructure:
>
> Set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and DESTDIR to locations where your $USER
> has write access.

I want to build with a user so if I make a mistake ( very likely ) it
will not damage the running system.  I have found that make
installkernel and installworld requires root user because it sets the
user as root perms regardless of where the install is going.  This is a
bit odd for me ( I was LFS and building and packaging my own linux ).