Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:39:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Ragnar Beer <rbeer@uni-goettingen.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security settings documentation

Default System Security Profile

Extreme
Adds the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="NO"
portmap_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel="2"

At this level the following services are disabled:
inetd
portmap
sendmail
sshd
NFS

The kernel securelevels are enabled and raised to level 2

High
Adds the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
portmap_enable="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel="1"

At this level the following services are disabled:
inetd
portmap
NFS

Kernel securelevel is enabled and raised to level 1

Medium
Adds the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

If the machine has been setup as a NFS client or server:
portmap_enable="YES"

If the machine has not been setup as a NFS server:
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"

At this level the following services are enabled:
inetd
sendmail
sshd

Depending on whether the machine is setup as a NFS client or server:
Client: portmap
Server: portmap and NFS is only provided on a secure port

Kernel securelevel is not enabled

Low
Adds the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="YES"
portmap_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

At this level the following services are enabled:
inetd
sendmail
portmap
sshd