Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:54:26 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, Will Andrews <will@FreeBSD.org>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Dmitry Sivachenko <dima@Chg.RU>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Subject:   Re: Request for comments: BSDPAN, p5-ports polisher (and more)

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 03:23:02AM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
> I present to your attention the initial version of BSDPAN, a tool, which
> currently does two things:
>
> 1. Makes p5- FreeBSD ports PREFIX-clean.
>
> 2. Makes Perl modules installed in a classical Perl way (by use of
>    CPAN.pm, or by manual downloading and perl Makefile.PL && make &&
>    make test && make install sequence) register themselves with FreeBSD
>    PKG_DB (commonly found in /var/db/pkg).

> The code is located at
>         http://www.tobez.org/download/bsdpan-2001020401.tgz

> For now, in order to test BSDPAN, you will only need to set the
> environment variable PERL5LIB to point to a directory you unpacked the
> tarball to (including the first BSDPAN subdirectory).

The newer version is at
         http://www.tobez.org/download/bsdpan-2001020502.tgz

Changes were:

- fixes a bugs that manifested itself when BSDPAN was unpacked in a tree
  with strange directory permissions (thanks to Josef Karthauser).

- changes the generated package prefix (bsdpan- instead of p5-), in
  order to distinguish artificial package entries it generates from the
  `proper' p5- packages.

- makes overriding more reliable (dirty @INC tricks replaced with
  clean @INC tricks).

- respects PKG_DB environment variable (as bsd.port.mk does).

+Anton.
--
May the tuna salad be with you.