Date:      Sun, 25 May 2003 02:48:52 +0400
From:      Vladik Kozin <epbox@yandex.ru>
To:        "Nucking Futs" <nuckingfutsto@hotmail.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA NIC and Inet connection

<OMITTED>

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
----
>- /boot/kernel.conf
>
> di bt0
> di aic0
> di aha0
> di adv0
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
---
> ****Note kernel.conf doesnt mention ed1***  what does this mean?

<OMITTED>

=09Sorry for the offtopic. What does that /boot/kernel.conf actually do? =
Can=20
someone give a brief explanation? Is it really important?
=09I installed FBSD 4.8 on my ThinkPad 570 via ftp using the NE2000 compa=
tible=20
ethernet card. Unfortunately, somethig went wrong while adjusting the ker=
nel=20
to my needs. So now I can't get the same card to work.
My present configuration looks like this:

#____   kernel
device miibus
device ed
device card
device pcic0 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
device pcic1 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable

#_____   /etc/rc.conf
pccard_enable=3D"YES"
pccard_ifconfig=3D"DHCP"
pccardd_flags=3D""

#_____  dmesg sais
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccard: card removed, slot 0
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
ed0 at port ....... irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
ed0: address ..............., type NE2000 (16bit)
ed0: device timeout
ed0: device timeout
=2E..

from >man 4 ed
 ed%d: device timeout  Indicates that an expected transmitter interrupt
     didn't occur.  Usually caused by an interrupt conflict with another =
card
     on the ISA bus.  This condition could also be caused if the kernel i=
     configured for a different IRQ channel than the one the card is actu=
ally
     using.  If that is the case, you will have to either reconfigure the=
 card
     using a DOS utility or set the jumpers on the card appropriately.

=09I've already tried to to change interrupt by adding irq to the kernel =
and=20
adding=20
pccardd_flags=3D"-i #num"
to /etc/rc.conf.
=09I was also experimenting with /boot/kernel.conf. Installing the new ke=
rnel=20
doesn't seem to replace this file. Then who does? I had the following str=
ings=20
in /boot/kernel.conf at the begining:
=09en ed0
=09po ed0 0x280