Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:04:11 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptop suspend states behaviour

On Thursday 26 June 2003 03:10 am, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> I'm sorry to say that most of the suspend states aren't very useful. Are
> people able to use any suspend method on other laptops?

Yes.

=46rom following this list, it sounds like ACPI in FreeBSD is horribly brok=
en on=20
the vast majority of modern laptops.  I am fortunate enough not to own mode=
rn=20
laptops. :-)

On my Toshiba Satellite 1605, ACPI suspend (to RAM and to disk) works=20
flawlessly.  It's worth noting that ACPI suspend-to-disk is several times=20
faster than APM suspend-to-disk.  This machine now runs Gentoo, however,=20
because of the lurking M5237 USB bug (which I've finally gotten offers for=
=20
help on, six months later, but can't have the downtime required to reinstal=
l=20
the OS twice to test).

On my IBM Thinkpad 755CX, APM suspend (to RAM and to disk) also works=20
flawlessly, and is much faster than the Satellite since it's maxed out with=
=20
40MB of RAM.  :-)

I recently picked up an HP Pavilion N5290 (like the other two, it died and =
was=20
discarded by someone who couldn't solder); it's running Gentoo by default=20
after my issues with USB on the Satellite, so I can't comment there. =20
Hardware suspend doesn't work -at- -all- on it in Linux, but software suspe=
nd=20
in their kernel does.  You just have to manually patch your kernel to do it=
=2E =20
Whee.

=2DCliff L. Biffle