Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 95 12:13:11 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        laubner@ccmailpc.ctron.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install failed on Asus SP3G

>      i've tried to install FreeBSD 2.0 on my PC. Unfortunately the
>      installation failed. I wonder if anybody is able to help me on that ?
>      Here's what's going on :
>
>      System is a 486DX2-66 Intel, Asus SP3G Mainboard, 8MB RAM 256K Cache,
>      using the onboard NCR SCSI Controller with CONNER 1060S (1GB,SCSI)
>      HD and Toshiba 3601B (4.5 x Speed, SCSI CDROM Drive), 1/4" Floppy
>      Grpahics Board is Spea Mercury, Standard Keyboard (No mouse connected
>      to system).
>
>      Software is from BSDisc (November 94) from InfoMagic
>
>      I made two install disks (rawrite). 1st disk contained a boot_144.flp
>      image, second floppy contained a sysinstall (also flp-file). On the CD
>      there are two directories called NEWER and OLDER. The directories both
>      contained boot_flp and sysinstall. I tried all four possible
>      combinations of boot.flp and sysinstall on the two floppies.

I think this is the main problem; we don't know what the contents of
that disk are relative to the snapshots and releases.

The general suggestion is to download boot disks from either the
release or current via anonymous FTP (binary mode, of course) so that
we can answer questions from a position of knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that the install probram from CDROM is going to be
different, since the install program on the WC CDROM (which I haven't
used, but which at least some of us have used and others of us have
written) is, I think, copyright Walnut Creek, and wouldn't be on your
disk.

Have you tried contacting InfoMagic regarding their install procedure?

If they want list support, then it would probably be to their advantage
to seed the contributors with CDROMs (like Walnut Creek does) so that
they will be familiar with the install.

Unfortunately, this will only be marginally effective, since the list
members will either already have a WC version, OR they will be doing
their install relative to a running install as a full-build-to-upgrade
type install (I think this is the majority of people here).

>      With the older boot.flp the installation succeeded, and the first boot
>      after that succeeded, and i was asked to insert the second floppy.
>      After that (while copying the sysinstall tool) the system rebooted.
>      I tried both versions of the sysinstall tool, without success.
>      The system did not always boot the kernel and came up to the
>      sysinstall stuff. Sometimes (about 3/4 of all tries) it did not boot
>      the kernel correct.

If the install hasn't been altered from the Release disk images, I'd
suggest that the first thing you do is try newer install images to see
if it will correct your problems.

If InfoMagic has added significant value to the install, then it probably
won't be recognizable to us and we won't be able to help you -- you'll
have to contact them.

Feel free to forward this to InfoMagic; I'll admit that a lot of us
have some "brand loyalty" to Walnut Creek because of it providing the
host site for archives and source tree control, but there's' not an
active campaign to crush all competition (as far as I know).  I would
encourage them to distribute CDROMs to those people on the questions
list who install from CDROM to help cover their bases.

Questions can only be answered from a basis of knowledge or from a
basis of the universal problem solving procedure (try this, try that);
from past experience with similar questions about BSDisc, I can tell
you that very few of us are knowledgable about that particular
distribution.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---