Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:03:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFENET.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding a second, bootable disk

Hi,
I've added a 4gig SCSI drive to my FreeBSD (mostly) 2.1.5-release
system for the purpose of installing current.  I think I'm clear on
the procedure described in Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD".
However, what seems to be missing is how to make the second disk
bootable using the userland tools.  If there is only going to be a
single FreeBSD partion on the disk, can I use disklabel(8) to write
the bootblocks?  It seems like I need to do something to the MBR too
and neither the disklabel or fdisk man pages say anything about that.

I guess an alternative is to use /stand/sysinstall.  My /stand is
pretty old, dating from around 2.0.5.  Is it safe to use for this
purpose, or should I rebuild sysintall from the 2.1.5 sources?  Is
anything else needed besides the sysinstall binary?

Tim