Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:08:29 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Les Biffle <les@safety.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP routing question

Lars Eggert wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > As you say, SA's are not interfaces.  Try pinging over the link
> > from hosts on either side of the tunnel, e.g.:
> >
> > 10.0.1.15/8<--->10.0.1.1/8            10.0.2.1/8<---->10.0.2.11/8
> >               public IP #1<----------->public IP #2
> >
> > Ping #1    <-------------------------->               works
> > Ping #2    <----------------------------------------->broken
> >
> > Get rid of the default route, and ping #2 starts working.
>
> That looks like a routing issue on the tunnel endpoint that's
> independent from IPsec - what's in the routing table?

Now?  Not a default route, that's for sure... 8-) 8-) ;^).

I traced the problem down to the cloning of routes, and given
the opacity of the code, and the fact I had a workaround
avaiable, didn't bother chasing it further.

The response packets got *back* to 10.0.1.1, but 10.0.1.1 did
not forward them on the local net to 10.0.1.15, but pushed them
out the default interface instead.

-- Terry