Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 23:51:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Dave Edwards <davo@katy.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interface problem

Hi,

Is there some limit set on the number of slip/ppp/tun interfaces
available in 2.1-RELEASE ?

I've got 20 tun, 20 slip and 15 pp devices configured in my
kernel but we seem to be having some problems when we get up
around 12 - 13 (in total) in use..

User ppp caused a problem at first with "device not configured"
sometimes and "can't find ifindex" at others.  We got past that
one with some mods to the ppp code but yesterday, a cslip
connection failed rather strangely.  Sliplogin worked ok and
configured the interface (sl8) but I could not get it to come
up.

"ifconfig -au"    did not show sl8
"ifconfig sl8 up" did not change the state
"ifconfig sl8"    did show the source and destination correctly.

We tried twice with the same result.  The same person has had no
trouble up till now, and he's got on since.  He's using ppp until
I can sort it out.  Problem is we rarely get more than 12
connections at a time so its hard to troubleshoot..

I tracked down the earlier ppp problem to the kernel returning
ENOXIO from the call to open the tun device in os.c .  The
change I made was to ignore this and try the next device until
one worked.  This is now working fine, but I can't explain why
the kernel should return ENOXIO even when the device is in
use.

The reason I'm thinking there may be some limit is that the ppp
problem only showed itself when we got up to about 12 or 13
interfaces in use, and there was 12 in use during the slip
problem also.

I'm fairly sure the problem is with the kernel configuration
but can't find where I've gone wrong..  The machine is a 486 with
8 Meg ram and 2 16ye cyclades cards.

TIA,
dave
--