Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2017 20:30:23 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpn@neutralgood.org>
Cc:        swjatoslaw gerus <milstar2@eml.cc>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS installation  correct ?

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 11:06:57 -0500, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 03:47:38PM +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
> > If the installation is complete, select [ Reboot ] to reboot the
> > computer and start the new FreeBSD system. Do not forget to remove the
> > FreeBSD install media or the computer may boot from it again.
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-post.html
> >
> >  Author pressed button reboot  .shutdown (error ? )  ,sandisk out
> >  ,poweron
> > but can see only  linux  grub  ad can start linux
>
> I doubt the FreeBSD installer knows how to adjust grub to know about the
> new FreeBSD install. You'll need to check the grub documentation to see
> how to do that -- I've never used grub.

GRUB has an easy to use setup tool which can be run from
the existing Linux installation. Here you can add an entry
for FreeBSD. You are right that GRUB doesn't automatically
detect a new FreeBSD installation, but it can be configured
to boot /dev/sda1, which is where FreeBSD's / partition
should be should have been installed to. Sadly, the author
did not provide any information which partitioning scheme
(I assume MBR), which partition sizes, and which file system
he did select during installation, so it's more or less
guesswork. Due to Linux's fdisk program not understanding
FreeBSD partitioning layouts properly, the presented output
doesn't help much.

However, a look at the GRUB configuration tool, accessible
from Linux, should be of significant help.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany