Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 00:55:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Cc:        perhaps@yes.no, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

> I know this discussion is old now, but I didn't get to my mailbox
> in time, and I've had too much grief trying to get bisdn working reliably
> to let it pass...
>
> I tried using bisdn, both with -current and 2.2.2, without much luck, I'm

Well, I had more luck. For nearly a year now I'm using a bisdn
connection to the rest of the world (both sides bisdn one FreeBSD-the
other NetBSD, in the meantime both FreeBSD) I had no trouble
whatsoever with the raw-IP and the answer machine from bisdn-097.
I had some trouble with ppp over bisdn--but they are solved by now
to and I am using two ppp-connections to ascend routers--both with
dynamic assigned addresses.

I did have two or three crashes--even kernel panics. They were
caused by misconfiguration and by routed not being able
to cope with newly assigned IP addresses.  Another cause of grief
was using bisdn-interfaces w/o an entry in the bisdn.cfg file. This
led to SIGSEG for bisdnd.

But w/o running routed and with some care while editing bisdnd.cfg
it works like a charm.  You're right, the installation of bisdnd
including the kernel patches is not the most elegant thing under
the sun--and this is getting worse with every committ to the kernel
sources, that change the interface.

Wolfgang