Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:50:36 +0200
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org >> FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: svn checkout "head" or "stable"

Ed Flecko schreef:
> My goal is to simply have a production server that's fully patched,
> but I will be running custom kernels (which is why I'm not using
> freebsd-update). I've seen a lot of subversion references to checking
> out the "head" branch and the "stable" branch.
>
> I understand the "head" branch is the most current, so that's the same
> as the "current" branch, right?
>
> If I understand correctly, "most" people will not follow the "current"
> branch for production servers.
>
> My goal is to have all of the files I need to rebuild my kernel and my
> system after security updates have been released, therefore I should
> do something like:
>

> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src
>
> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/stable/9 /usr/ports
>
> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/doc/stable/9 /usr/doc
>
> This will give me everything I need to recompile and have a fully
> patched system, right?
>

> I do not make changes to the src, ports, or doc directories. From that
> point forward, as new security patches are released, I can simply:
>
> svn up /usr/src
>
> svn up /usr/ports
>
> svn up /usr/doc
>
> and once again rebuild my kernel and system.
>

> Does this sound correct?
>

> Ed

It sounds correct but is not :D

If you use svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src then you
are tracking stable.
Stable is a not a release that receives patches.
Stable receives code from head(current) that has been tested in
Current(head), but did not get real exposure in the stable branch which
is now 9.
Stable is the code that is altered between releases.
So Stable might contain some bugs from head that are only exposed in the
current code base.

So if you want a production system which only receive patches you need
to track release.
svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.1 /usr/src

To sum it up:   (please correct me if i am wrong)

So for the latest and greatest use head which is FreeBSD 10 Current
svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head /usr/src

If you want the stable branch use
svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 /usr/src
This will give you FreeBSD 9 Stable

If you want to track release with patches use
svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.1 /usr/src
This will give you FreeBSD 9.1-px where px is the patch level if any.

I hope this clearify things a little bit

regards
Johan