Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2014 22:19:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, Warren Block <wblock@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Translations (was Re: svn commit: r43974 - head/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Xin Li wrote:

> (redirecting to freebsd-doc@)

Subject changed.

> On 2/17/14, 7:10 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry, these multiple whitespace changes were my fault due to
>> a mixup with Allan Jude's original patch.  Normally, it would have
>> been a single commit.
>>
>> I apologize for this difficulty.
>
> Well, please don't take it too personally :)

Thanks. :)

>> Would it help if these changes were reverted with a "reverse merge"
>> of r43920, r43921, r43973, r43974, and r43975, then recommitted
>> with the whitespace patches combined, or is it too late for that?
>
> I think using a batch of commits instead of one big commit is
> generally a good idea because the diff is easier to read/merge.  What
> makes it hard to track is when the space changes are made in larger
> timespan as they would be harder to ignore them or need more manual
> intervention.

I think I understand.  Part of my difficulty is being monolingual, it's
hard for me to see exactly what translators do.  Benedict has explained
it to me, but it sounds so difficult to track changes that it's hard to
believe anyone can keep up with it.

(Oh, and if those changes need to be reverted, let's do that as soon as
possible.)

>> If there is any way I or other committers can make this easier for
>> translators, please post on the -doc mailing list or to me
>> invididually.
>
> One thing I would recommend is to separate the contents that do not
> need translation (e.g. tags, entities, etc.) and contents that needs
> translation.  This way, these contents would serve as a positioning
> blocks when merging from upstream (English).

That sounds interesting, and leads well into the next part:

>> We are also trying to modernize the translation process, and
>> automate some of the work that translators are currently forced to
>> do.  Anyone who would like to help with that is welcome.
>
> That would be great!  How can we help, or is there some kind of TODO list?

There are several things that would be helpful.

We could use help from people who are experienced with using the
.po/.pot/.mo tools (gettext) on other platforms.

The basic process is to separate all the content from the markup
automatically.  Then an editor can be used to add translations, and the
tool puts a translated file back together from it.  This
allows the translation program to remember existing translations, so
translating one document helps translate others.

textproc/itstool is one of the automatic separator programs.  I've been
somewhat stymied trying to figure out how to get the Python libxml2
implementation used by it to find FreeBSD documentation XML catalogs.
Documentation on this is... let's just say sparse.

The PC-BSD folks are using tools like Pootle, but not for DocBook (as
far as I know).  They have a web site for translation, useful as an
example of what can be done: http://pootle.pcbsd.org/

Benedict (CCed) has made some progress with some of these tools.  I
think there are plans to add a page to the wiki, but don't know if it is
present yet.