Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:30:16 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-multimedia@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   webcamd, dvb, v4l2-ctl:  "device not configured"

I'm trying to get something happening with ffmpeg and using the v4l
input to access a dvb card - which may well be trail blazing mind, but
there are points worth testing. However, it keeps coming back to me that
the device is not configured. Mplayer as such will work using dvb://

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly an expert in the v4l
field (which is why I'm here). What I want to know is how I can tune the
card so that ffmpeg can then play with the stream. I know that it use
the v4l libraries and as such based on what I have read in the man and
docs says that "in theory" I should be able to control the card using
this. So I'm playing around and trying various tricks, but nothing is
working.

I tried v4l2-ctl and it shows up my webcam just fine, but it shows
nothing else. If I then go -d /dev/dvb/adaptor0/frontend0 and use --all
or -D all I get is:

VIDIOC_QUERYCAP: failed: Device not configured
Driver Info (not using libv4l2):
     Driver name   :
     Card type     :
     Bus info      :
     Driver version: 0.0.0
     Capabilities  : 0x00000000

So I'm mystified. Is this supposed to work? Or is it a loose thread on
the linux compat side like notify?

Aside from attempting to get a tzap built (could anyone explain how to
adjust the szap Makefile in ports to do this? Change the name from
szap_s2 to something else maybe?) is there any other way to tune the
card? Preferably using perl, which would ultimately be the tool I'd use
to setup my system.

I've tried near all the media systems, but frankly none meet my
satisfaction. Too complex, too unstable, (too lumpy, too bumpy - sound
like a Suess story :) ) just not light enough or suitable for the
environment. So I'd like to build my own without all the cruft - one
I've had in mind for some time now. Hence this endeavour. Prior there
was no ffmpeg with v4l, ffserver had faults, went to avserver but it
needed rebuilding from scratch. Now ffmpeg has v4l I thought I'd kick it
in the guts again and see...

TIA