Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:52:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More buf cache locking. (patch)

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Kirk McKusick wrote:

> 	I forgot, the patch is at:
>
> 	http://www.chesapeake.net/~jroberson/bcache.diff
>
> These changes look reasonable to me.

Thanks, I'm really glad you looked that over.  I will have some changes to
the softdep code for you to review soon.  It needs to acquire the vnode
interlock to protect the dirty and clean queues.  The interlock is
required since io can complete while the vnode lock is not held and these
lists are modified at interrupt time.  I intend to add an interlock
argument to getdirtybuf().

Also, what are your thoughts on how smp safe ufs/ffs is?  Are there any
internal datastructures that need locking?  If vnodes and mounts were
locked along with the buf cache and name cache do you think it would be
safe to drop Giant?  We're very close to this point now.

Thanks,
Jeff