Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 09:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to change name of this list to a less embarrassing one

> I propose we change the list name `hackers' to [ Suggestions Please ].
>
> The world of journalists & bosses & general public has made up its mind
> a hacker is anti-social, the name thus harms FreeBSD's image.

And the word ``journalists'' in many circles hurts the reputation of
writers who write for periodic publications :-)

> It's hard enough to persuade bosses and friends to use FreeBSD, rather than
> something commercial, it's harder still when one must tell the `Suits':
>   "Your administrator should subscribe to a list called `hackers'"

Don't tell the ``Suits'' that then.  Just tell them there are a large group
of mailling lists for different purposes that there administrators _can_
subscribe to and/or send mail to if they need help.

> The difference between a `hacker' & a `cracker' is something
> no one but us & other techno-freaks knows or cares about.
> We are too few to have a hope of educating the world's press.

Then don't tell the people who don't have a clue about them!  They have
no reason to know or care what we call our lists.