Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:40:25 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion

On 03/13/12 02:14, Allen wrote:
> On 3/11/2012 7:33 PM, Da Rock wrote:

> Windows is a poorly made joke. We all know this deep down. Does no one
> read Computer History? Microsoft was marketing Xenix before IBM said "We
> need an OS that blows for a Computer that has similar power to a
> calculator ten years from now" and Microsoft said "We can do that!"....
> Well, we can BUY that.... Seattle Computer Products has this OS called
> QDOS that is a rip off of CP/M and stands for "Quick Dirty Operating
> System" if we buy that for a rip off price and rename it Disk Operating
> System, even though it can't handle Disks anyway, we can use this!
>
>>> IMO it is the Microsoft and CO. tactics how to eliminate concurency -
>>> Unix,
>>> Mac... They never tried to be better...
>> Hah! They didn't need to. The guys who designed Unix finally wound up
>> their work once ported, and then said "we can do a lot better now" and
>> Plan9 was born. The change was too dramatic for commerce to change for
>> supposedly little reward, and so Plan9 was left on the backburner while
>> a lot of its features were integrated into other *nix platforms (rc,
>> file based devices, etc).
> Plan 9 is a record label started by Glenn Danzig. And a movie. As for
> the OS, I don't care. They got it right with Unix years earlier, why
> stop now?
You realise, of course, that a lot of things you take for granted on BSD
Unix was ported from Plan9? Yes, they got it right the first time. _And_
the second. People were impressed, but it would have taken too much
effort to change ingrained ways and habits.
> AT&T didn't care about Unix until they were allowed to make money off
> it, but the problem there, is that Berkeley got a copy of it, and some
> Brilliant Hackers started working on it.
>
> The CSRG at Berkeley did things that made more possible. Then they came
> up with BSD, and, well, we're still using it Today. Many people would
> consider 6 months to a year a long time in Computer terms, and 5 years
> with the same OS, is considered damn good. So what does this say about BSD?
>
> We're still using an OS that was born in 1969, changed in the 70s by the
> Brilliance of Berkeley, and now still going strong after so long. That's
> not only saying something, that's a Historical thing.
It is astounding. For around 20 years it hung around before they came up
with something new, 40 years on and its still going strong - cars don't
even last that long; or some buildings for that matter!