Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 01:38:28 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        jack handy <mat_branyon@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound support/root directory

jack handy wrote:

> i know you probably get the sound support problem a lot, and i suggest that
> wiht the growing number of ppl using FreeBSD as a desktop os, that an option
> should be put in setup to configure sound devices... i understand that for
> commercial use that sound other than pc speaker isnt necessary.  i have an
> integrated soundcard (ess) and could not configure it, the parameters on the
> website didnt seem to be working, or maybe im not compiling my kernel right,
> or maybe its a program dysfuction (i try to use xmms).
> also, after i try to compile a kernel about 8 times, my root directory ( / )
> registers at 108% capacity.  im probably doing something wrong, please if
> anything, tell me how to fix this last problem

What were you capturing that went into /root? If you didn't capture
anything, what kind of disk structure do you have for a setup. If you
are capturing output, you need to change where you store it. What I
did was add a /var/log/build and captured output from all of my builds
went into it. I also have a 1-1.5GB /var slice. I can capture a lot of
builds before I run out of space :). They are tending to simplify the
disk structure but I happen to like a / (250MB), /tmp (1.5GB), /var
(1.5GB), 2x real memory for swap, and everything else is /usr.

What version of FreeBSD are you using and what did you add to your
kernel? Did you run sh MAKEDEV snd0 or the equivalent after you
installed and rebooted to the new kernel.

Kent

> ~thank you
> ~mat
>
>        (_)