Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:32:43 -0500
From:      "PSI, Mike Smith" <mlsmith@mitre.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   _init execs in middle of code

Does anyone know exactly what _init is? An "nm" of my executable lists:

080486a8 ? _init

It is the lowest numeric address (before _start and main) so I would
assume it is some sort of program initialization code. But when trying
to determine the cause of a kernel freeze (caused by my user app), I
found that _init is being "called" after quite a bit of code has been
executed.

I scanned every library known to man and of course all of my objects. I
cannot find any symbol reference to _init anywhere so I can only guess
it is set up by the linker. HELP! My kernel freezes (every 2nd/3rd
execution of the program) so I can't run the debugger on the kernel.

However, the freeze condition is very repeatable (happens what appears
to be the same point in the execution WHEN it happens) so if I can
figure out what _init is, I may have a chance to solve this.

Also if _init isn't supposed to be called during a program running, can
anyone give a clue as to what stupid programming error could cause this
to happen?

Thanks
Mike Smith (not THE Mike Smith)