Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:03:08 -0700
From:      Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling elf gcc 2.7.2.3 on FreeBSD 3.3-R?

After an unsuccessful attempt at asking this on -questions...

I believe that I could work my way through the problem below if I could
build a vanilla gcc 2.7.2.3 on FreeBSD 3.3-R.

Attempting to build a fresh 2.7.2.3,

1. configure
2. remove references to gnumalloc in Makefile and cp/Makefile
3. make LANGUAGES=c

and I get

--- snip ---
./xgcc -B./  -DIN_GCC   -g -I./include  enquire.o -o enquire
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
--- snip ---

I presume that this is an a.out vs elf issue -- gcc is trying to build an
a.out version and 3.3-R is elf. However, I get the same problem if I try
configure with "configure i386-elf-freebsd".

Suggestions?

Charles

P.S. I know that 3.3-R uses gcc 2.7.2.3 internally. However, I would like to
build a separate binary for StackGuard.