Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:43:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/networks broke after upgrade..

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, John Baldwin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded a 2.2.8-stable system to 3.0-stable, and now I can't seem to
> get anything to read /etc/networks.  Specifically, netstat -r no longer uses
> my local network names in its lists.  The bigger thing for me is that I have my
> gateway running a timed server as master on my local net, and after the upgrade
> it won't communicate with my clients anymore.  (I use a network name defined in
> /etc/networks to control access via the -F option).  Also, the networks(5) man
> page doesn't give a very detailed spec for the file format.  I was using this
> in 2.2.8-stable, which worked fine:
>
> mybignet        10
> mybignetmask    255.255.255
>
> mysubnet        10.0.0
>
> then, the route with a destination of 10/24 would display mysubnet instead of
> 10/24 in netstat -r.  After upgrading to 3.0 it displays 10/24, and I can't seem
> to get it back.

  IMO:  Good ridance.  /etc/networks was an abombination.  This
information belongs in DNS.

  BTW, netstat does query DNS for these things.  So if you put your
network name if you define a PTR record for 10.0.0.0
(0.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa), it will show it as "mysubnet/24".  I've done this
for a long time.

> I also invoke timed as "timed -M -F mysubnet", and I do like the names, so if
> there is any way to get this back I'd like to do so.
>
> - ---
>
> John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
> PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc

Tom