Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:36:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        mpp@freefall.freebsd.org, nate@mt.sri.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dumpfs patch for review

Bruce Evans writes:
> >> fs_id[0] is a time_t value, and probably should be printed as such.
> >>          is it the time that the file system was "randomized", either
> >> 	 by newfs or fsirand.
> >
> >Ahh, OK.
> >
> >> fd_id[1] is a random number
> >
> >Ok, here's round two.
>
> It's still ugly.

It's better than nothing...

> >===================================================================
> >RCS file: /home/CVS/src/sbin/dumpfs/dumpfs.c,v
> >retrieving revision 1.6
> >diff -c -r1.6 dumpfs.c
> >*** dumpfs.c	1997/03/11 12:12:26	1.6
> >--- dumpfs.c	1997/03/26 17:43:32
> >***************
> >*** 127,132 ****
> >--- 127,134 ----
> >  	dev_bsize = afs.fs_fsize / fsbtodb(&afs, 1);
> >  	printf("magic\t%x\ttime\t%s", afs.fs_magic,
> >  	    ctime(&afs.fs_time));
> >+ 	printf("fsid\t%d\trndtime\t%s",
> >+ 	    afs.fs_id[1], ctime((time_t *)&afs.fs_id[0]));
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Bogus cast.  Just as wrong as the one in fsirand.c.

Since fs_id[0] is declared as int_32, I have to cast it to time_t in
order for it to be 'right' (according to fsirand).

> The minfree...maxbpg line shouldn't be changed.

Why not change them?  We had to change something?

> I'm now convinced that the old fields shouldn't have been reused.  The above
> changes give wrong output on old and foreign file systems.

Yep, but in order to remain compatible with the other *BSd's, we must
either convince them to use the other 'unused' fields.

In any case, are you going to come up with a better fix, cause if not
then this solution is better than nothing (and the issues are
formatting of the output, not functional issues.)

Having a broken build tree for 3 days seems silly.

Nate