Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2011 14:52:03 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Request for Comments] Adding a JAILED meta-variable to bsd.port.mk

--CxlMVwprXkXvo17J

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 07:09:49AM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I would like to propose a change to bsd.port.mk which, similarly to
> obtaining the OSVERSION, checks if the system on which a port is being
> built is a jailed environment.
>=20
> This change can allow port maintainers to mark ports that do not run in
> jailed environments as IGNORE, or adjust PKG_MESSAGE to inform the user
> of special conditions or changes that will be needed to run a port from
> within a jail.  One particular example of the latter is
> databases/postgresql*-server, where the user must enable
> security.jail.sysvipc_allowed.  I am sure this feature could expand to
> other cases I have not considered yet, as well.

I do not think this is good idea. The machine or environment where
the port is built sometimes (or, in my setups, quite often) is not
the same as where it is run. Your proposal gives a tool to tightly
tie the ports to build environments, that is detrimental for some
setups, and also diminish the value of packaging. IMHO.

--CxlMVwprXkXvo17J

--CxlMVwprXkXvo17J--