Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:12:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Anuranjan Shukla <anuranjan@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        anuranjan@yahoo.com
Subject:   IOCTL problem in a n/w driver

I have written some code for a network device driver
(PCI) and am able to probe and attach it successfully.
During the attach routine I can get the correct MAC
address from the EEPROM and am able to initialize the
card successfully too.
The problem: It's with the ioctl interface that I've
written.

case SIOCSIFADDR:
case SIOCGIFADDR:
case SIOCSIFMTU:
	error = ether_ioctl(ifp, cmd, data);
	break;
   :::

In this I can set the LLADDR and MTU and can read the
correct MTU using the "ifconfig" command. But
interesting this is that In the output of the ifconfig
I see:

xx0: ...... MTU 1500
	ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
Basically everything else is ok ( I can SET the MTU,
LLADDR, INET etc) except that I get the ethernet
address wrong on giving the ifconfig command. I tried
putting some trace in the ether_ioctl function
(if_ethersubr.c) but don't see any output.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Any comments
would be greatly appreciated.