Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 05:26:24 -0500
From:      Rich Kulawiec <rsk@gsp.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Project is enabling Google Analytics on www.freebsd.org

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 02:35:16PM -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
> I'm no conspiracy theorist, and GA's reports are excellent, but if
> there is some way for the FreeBSD project to get 80% of the
> functionality without sending the data to a third party, I'd be in
> favor of that.

I concur with your point and the sentiment behind it, but until we
know precisely *what* functionality is in question here, it's not
clear whether 80% or 20% or 95% of it is actually necessary.  The
FreeBSD web developers should clearly articulate what problems they
believe to be in play, why they believe them to be problems, and how
they plan to characterize and quantify them.  At this point, I see
no evidence on table that indicates why the raw web logs can't be
used directly. (That is NOT a statement that such evidence doesn't
exist: it might.  In fact, I presume it does because I presume that
the web developers would use them if they would suffice.  But it's
a statement that this evidence and the accompanying reasoning have
not yet been placed in front of all of us for consideration.)

---rsk