Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:33:42 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   distfiles/md5 issues

I have noticed in several recent port upgrades that there is a problem
with some port sources and their associated md5 files causing major
havoc, especially when using portupgrade.

Specifically, if the distfile *contents* change but the name does not,
then the standard make system will fail due to checksum mismatch because
it cannot trigger a re-download of the sources.  Take, for example,
mplayer-skins, where there are a number of source files that do not
change names when the contents change, but the port md5 checksums do
change to match the latest file contents.  This caused me some head
scratching last week.  Has anyone considered this problem?  Maybe it
would help to have some facility added to portupgrade which could check
for checksum errors and then compare dates to see if the source file is
wildly out of date with respect to the checksum file?  Or a make system
change?

I also just rean into this on the OpenOffice upgrade.

My solution to this is to regularly clean out the /usr/ports/distfiles
directories, but it seems like a problem with low-bandwidth sites.

/Joe