Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:18:28 -0500
From:      Typeline Webmaster <web@typeline.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cpio

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to establish a backup procedure for a
couple of
machines running FBSD. While using tar for most of my Unix life I've
just started
to play with cpio. Since I'm trying to do a complete backup of these
machines,
cpio, from what I've read, is better suited for this purpose.

If I need to rebuild one of these machines after a crash I'd just want
to reload
the OS and restore from tape. I've already tried using the following
script using
cpio and was wondering if this is sufficient:

	find / -print -depth | cpio -ov > /dev/rst0

To restore to / I've run:

	cpio -ivd < /dev/rst0

Is this procedure safe enough to restore everything including any dev
special
files etc.?

Thanks
Bob Badaracco