Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:54:59 +0100
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@demon.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solid NFS patch #6 avail for -current - need testers files)

Previously on Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 12:31:03PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:     I think the existing release schedule is pretty good.  Any faster and
:     we might as well not have two branches at all.  We really need a
:     -current branch in order to make and test radical changes, and the
:     companies & people who use FreeBSD need a -stable branch to keep
:     production boxes up to date without having to bet the farm.
:
:     We already have the ability to shortcut certain things simply by
:     copying them from -current to -stable wholesale after we've determined
:     their stability under -current.  The issue here really is safety.  I
:     know some of you really want some of the things in -current to be
:     backported into -stable more quickly, but you have to be patient.  We
:     can't compromise -stable's stability by acting too quickly.
:
Speaking as a heavy stable user and also a Net and OpenBSD user the big
selling point I have for using FreeBSD over the other 'free' BSDs, Linux
and some commercial OSs is the release structure. I believe radical alterations
to this structure would be best avoided.

It is only post 3.1 release that I have become confident in the RelEng3
branch as a service platform.

People desperate for current functionality can wait, back port themselves or
run current. I have taken all three options in the past :-)

--
GeoffB