Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:44:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Jesus A. Mora" <jmora@hvm.sas.cica.es>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with my hard disk geometry?

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Bill Moran wrote:

> What does your BIOS say the geometry is?

Well, the BIOS gives you three options:
	CHS : 38792 cyl /  16 heads / 63 sectors = 39,102,336 sectors
        LBA :  2434 cyl / 255 heads / 63 sectors = 39,102,210 sectors
	Large: 2586 cyl / 240 heads / 63 sectors = 39,100,320 sectors
	Auto

In fact, if configured as "Auto", it chooses to go "LBA", as stated during
the final boot process.

I wonder if FreeBSD (or the boot0 loader) gets confused, since the number
of heads in LBA (255) is not in the form  m * (2^n), so it cannot guess
the real geometry of the HD.

Also, I wonder if setting the option "Large" mode could be of some help
(and if it will work with MS Win98). Of course, I guess I'll have to
repartition the disk and reinstall everything if going this way.

By the way, a strange thing happened to me the first time I booted the
system and tried to set the Win98 partition with its FDISK tool: I forced
the LBA mode in the BIOS, and the FDISK stated that the HD was 8GB large.
So I set the "Auto" option, it booted LBA again, but this time the FDISK
saw the real size (about 20GB).

Any hint, please?

TIA.