Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 1995 10:10:10 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2.0.5 950622 SNAP

>BIOS
>  Anticipating that this might be causing problems, I've investigated
>  the options. At the moment, the BIOS is configured for a SCSI disk,
>  (although these problems remain if I tell the machine's BIOS that there
>  is no disk attached (and hence no geometry), and let the controller BIOS
>  handle it) and the controller has Host Adapter BIOS turned *ON*. If I
>  turn this option off then the BIOS refuses to see the disk at boot time.
>  Since this is my only boot disk it's kinda critical to have it on...

The system BIOS should have no entry for attached drives.  The system
BIOS is only used for IDE interfaces.  Since you are booting off of the
2940, you must enable its BIOS.

>  ... however, I have turned "Extended BIOS translation for DOS Drives >
>  1GB" off. As far as I know, this should remove any problems,
>  particularly since the DOS partition is completely below the 1Gb
>  limit.

If you partitioned your disk under DOS with Extended BIOS translation
on, then you will totally confuse FreeBSD by turing it off.  FreeBSD
will take the geometry from the BIOS, it will conflict with the geometry
(255/64/8192) used to set the DOS partition boundaries in the partition
table.  If you want to be able to have FreeBSD and DOS coexist, you must
partition with and leave the board in the same translation mode.  Since you
already have DOS installed, I would suggest going back to having Extended
translation on.  Make sure that the install program sees that you have a
255/63 translation at that time.
--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM