Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:37:46 -0400
From:      John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of iSCSI

(Forrest - Had to post to list too as my mail also bounced back)

Not sure if your budget can handle it, but if I where you....

I would stick with NFS over GigE network. But go with a very robust
hardened NFS soluton, like a NetApp FAS960 Fileserver. Throughput is
very good, SPOF is non-existent, the disk shelves are fiber channel so
you can start with 0.5Tb and scale as high (30Tb) as you want on the
fly (within nfs filesystem mount limits).

A good NetApp system with 1/2 a terabyte will run you around $70,000
(last time I checked). Can be lower through refurb and/or second hand
markets.

There are cheaper alternatives but these are no where near the
performance level of the NetApp units.

-john