Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:37:30 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Brad Chisholm <sasblc@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System crash on "vinum start"

At 01:05 PM 9/27/99 -0400, Brad Chisholm wrote:
>Well, I believe I discovered the source of my problem.  It turns out that
>I did not have the correct devices configured in /dev for the component
>drives.  I had da[0-3]e, but not da[0-3]s1e.  The documentation seemed to
>indicate that the da?s1? devices were not required, but once I made them,
>the crashes stopped.

Unless it's changed (again) you only need "/dev/da[0-3]" with no slice or
partition.

Not to surprising that it paniced with what appeared to be a "dedicated"
disk (ie da0e).

>It's interesting that I could bring the array up using the 'start'
>command from the vinum interactive prompt, and things would work
>properly with the missing devices, while issuing a direct 'vinum
>start' would cause a panic.

Expected behaviour.  From vinum.8:

 If no object names are specified, vinum scans the disks known to
 the system for vinum drives and then reads in the configuration
 as described under the read commands.  The vinum drive contains a
 header with all information about the data stored on the drive,
 including the names of the other drives which are required in
 order to represent plexes and volumes.

Similarly you could list only one drive for the read command in rc.conf and
it should bring up all drives.  Emphasis on the "could" and "should" here.

Doing a "dd if=/dev/da0s1e skip=8 count=6 | tr -d '\000-\011\200-\377'"
would show why, but then you should have seen this if read the section
abover kernel panics. ;)

>Even though this may have been a stupid user error, it would be nice
>if vinum could catch this without a system crash.  To that end, I'm
>including an updated traceback from my panic dump which has the vinum
>calls included.

The only time recently that I've seen it panic is when doing something
wrong.  Earlier in the year made pretty much the same mistake you have here.

>Thanks for providing such a useful piece of software!

Most certainly is.  Could use the functionality to add to a plex's size for
striped or RAID5, but a bit of planning cures that.  8-)

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve
'86 Yamaha MaxiumX (not FBSD powered)