Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:52:50 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with BIND named

FreeBSD 4.6.  I am encountering problems with named.  It is starting
again after several years of no problems to eat up all my swap space
and then exit.  So I added a datasize 30M to named.conf and now the
data size sits at about 30 MB.  However, after about 12 hours of
working fine, I got the message cannot allocat memory and it exited
again.  This is a mail server that handles a high volume of traffic and
looks up a large number of names.  Perhaps limiting the datasize is not
the right approach, but I need to make it remove entries from its
tables rather than keep them for days.  What is the best approach for
this?