Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 15:30:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      fredriks@mcs.com (Lars Fredriksen)
To:        swallace@ece.uci.edu (Steven Wallace)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to deadlock your -current system

Steven Wallace writes:

> This looks like the mmap() ing problem into a sparse file I reported
> earlier.  If you create a file and seek to someplace else without
> writing data and then try to map those holes, your system is surely
> to crash, as your program does.
>
> Also there is a problem if you try to mmap() a file with one process
> and then another process mmap() that file with a different non-page
> offset, your system will freeze after you quit and do some swapping
> activity.
>
> Steven

I wonder if this is what I am seing too. This happens during a
cvs update, make world, sup etc. Currently my machine at home is
sitting dead whith two csh and pageout_daemon all waiting on the
same wchan. The routine they are in as per the wchan is file_lock(hm
that might not be the right name, I am going of my rather faulty
memory, but it was not ufs_lock) on an address that looks like f2000004.

Is there anything I can look at while in the kernel debugger that
will help you David or any other people actively looking at this?

Since I don't have access to the sources until I reboot, I wanted
to offer any "dynamic" information that might help. John (he says
hi from far away..), suggested that I collect all the wchans, so
if there is anything else let me know before 6PM central time.

Lars.

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)
			fredriks@asiago.cs.wisc.edu