Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2012 04:42:32 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_MODULES in /etc/make.conf doesn't work

from Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>:

> Yes, /etc/src.conf uses WITHOUT_* on a per-module basis, so you need
> to explicitely name the modules not to build.

> But you're right, there's only WITHOUT_USB (for not building the
> USB-related parts), so going with kernel configuration would be
> a good point to start -- the more precise you can define your
> test setting and its variables, the better you can diagnose the
> problem.

> In /etc/make.conf, you could use MODULES_OVERRIDE to define the
> set of modules you want (because only _those_ will then be
> build) and keeping their functionality out of the kernel. In
> this case, you have control over your test setting using the
> modules.

> The same files offers NO_MODULES=yes to avoid building modules
> at all (use custom kernel instead).

> If you decide to use WITHOUT_MODULES, you can define the set of
> modules you want to avoid building, everything else will be
> built.

> > Would
> > WITHOUT_MODULES= ulpt
> > work better in /etc/src.conf than in /etc/make.conf ?

> No, /etc/src.conf as (according to its manpage) a defined set of
> variables that will be considered when building (or _not_ building)
> certain modules.

> > Besides the toxic (?) ulpt.ko, there are a lot of modules that
> > would never be used on my hardware, and other modules that could
> > be built in the kernel as non-modules (such as support for msdosfs
> > and ext2fs, which I don't want to be without).

> That's a good setting for using a custom kernel and not even
> building the modules for the non-used functionalities. :-)

I suppose modules save RAM by being loaded only when needed, but see the virtue of NO_MODULES=yes or MODULES_OVERRIDE in combination with putting everything needed in kernel config.

Building WITHOUT_USB would cause a severe loss of functionality, USB sticks, USB hard drives, even USB mice and keyboards wouldn't work.

from Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>:

> Try with:

> WITHOUT_MODULES= usb/ulpt

I'll have to try that on my build/update of FreeBSD 9.0_STABLE i386 on USB stick.  Thanks for the hint!

This would be from the USB stick but with source base directory /STABLE1/usr/src (on hard drive).

I had already built FreeBSD 9.0_STABLE i386 on the USB stick from FreeBSD 9.0_STABLE amd64, and was successful booting that USB stick.

Sort of a dirty trick that you have to use usb/ulpt as opposed to ulpt, and a deficiency in the documentation.

Now is there any way to prevent ulpt.ko from loading when a USB printer is connected?

Tom